St. Teresa’s Secondary School (Kidderpore)
HONOURING those who founded and established St. Teresa’s Secondary School, Kidderpore at Calcutta through and or under the Daughters of the Cross a Society registered as per law;
RESPECTFUL of our school and its aims and objects;
RECOGNIZING the need to promote socio-economic and intellectual interaction between the past and the present students and preservation of the harmony, goodwill culture and character of the Teresian’s worldwide;
RECOGNIZING the need to promote socio-economic and intellectual interaction between the present students and the past pupils; COMMITTED to establish collaborative links with other Alumni bodies and organizations in the interest of education and educational development of the Country in sync with the future demands on the present in support with the past;
We do hereby ADOPT, ENACT and GIVE this Memorandum of Association to ourselves and to our future generations as the constitution of Alumni of the students and pupils of St. Teresa’s Secondary School, Kidderpore at Calcutta;
1. The name of the society shall be “ST. TERESA’S SECONDARY SCHOOL, Kidderpore at Calcutta ALUMNI ASSOCIATION” hereinafter referred to as “THE ASSOCIATION”.
2. The Registered office of The Association shall be situated at St.Teresa’s Secondary School, 72, Diamond Harbour Road, Kolkata 700 023.
3. OBJECTIVES :- The principal objective of The Association shall be to organise various activities to ameliorate the sufferings of the poor, needy or ailing, whether in the form of provision of scholarships, stipends, Library / Reading Room facilities, study and research centres for the meritorious and needy students or in the form of medical, nursing, diagnostic or other care for the ailing or any other form of community organisation and development projects for the upliftment of the weaker sections of society and for improvement of the environment and the general quality of life, for the advancement of education and culture and any other activity beneficial to the community at large. The Association shall in addition have the following objectives:
a) To maintain liaison between the ST.TERESA’S SECONDARY SCHOOL, Kidderpore at Calcutta (Administration, Faculty Members and present Students), hereinafter referred to as “The School”, and the Alumni, which shall consist of the past pupils of the School, in different professions in life, for mutual benefit.
b) To provide financial, advisory or other suitable support to The School for augmentation and development of Academic, Vocational and Training facilities and also to participate financially or otherwise in School Development Programmes.
c) To organise and participate in Seminars, Discussions, Discourses, Debates, Conferences, etc., both inside and outside The School, along with the faculty members and/or students of The School for the purpose of mutual exposure to modern teaching methods, techniques and keeping up to date with modern thinking and developments in the various fields of human endeavour i.e the fields of Science and Technology, Humanities and Fine Arts, Commerce, Business Administration and other academic/professional vocations.
d) To create special Funds and/or Trusts or Advisory or other bodies for meeting the various needs of the existing student body of The School in activities which are compatible with the objectives of The Association / and School curriculum and which have the support of The Association.
e) To create and provide opportunities for social interaction between the members and associates along with their families at regular intervals and to promote special interest groups amongst them in any professional, social, cultural, educational, athletic or sports and other fields in which they are interested.
f) To actively support, financially or otherwise, and augment the special interest groups in organising any programmes, shows, meetings, exhibitions, projects or other activities for propagation of such special interest amongst the members and associates as also the general public.
g) To promote special groups of the Alumni of various batches and also to promote the formation of local centres outside Kolkata which will have identical objectives and would be affiliated to the parent Association at Kolkata.
h) To provide succour by whatsoever means considered fit and possible, to the ailing or the victims of any natural or man-made calamities.
I) To help, contribute, promote, run or take over, and amalgamate wholly or in part with any other Society, Association, Trust, Fund, Endowment, Body or Institution, whether registered, incorporated or not, having public, charitable or educational or other objects similar to those of The Association and in which The Association is interested.
j) To print, purchase, publish and distribute books, bulletins, magazines, periodicals, souvenirs, booklets, prospectus, circulars, bills and posters or cause such to be done on behalf of The Association.
k) To contribute to the growth and advancement of The School by participating in development projects.
l) To do all other acts, deeds and things as are necessary for and incidental to or conducive to the attainment of the objects of The Association.
4. Provided further and/without prejudice to the generality of the above and for the effective carrying out of the above objects, The Association shall have the power, subject to and in accordance with the provisions of the West Bengal Societies Registration Act and Rules there under as also the Regulations of The Association, to acquire, purchase, receive, hold, take on lease or otherwise any property, establishment, land, building, easement or other interest in real estates, including securities and negotiable instruments and all kinds of personal property/ properties, to construct, maintain buildings, tents, grant rights over or deal with or dispose off any of The Association properties or any portion thereof and enter into contracts for and in connection with any, some or all of the object of The Association, to raise money or moneys whether by way of fees, subscriptions, sale of tickets etc. And funds in such manner as may be deemed fit for and on behalf of The Association and to accept donations, grants, presents and other offerings in cash or in kind including moveable and immovable properties etc. And to deal with the same for carrying out the objects and/or purposes of The Association.
5. Notwithstanding anything hereinbefore contained The Association shall be completely apolitical and keep itself aloof from party politics, although it may participate in any forum or activity for the good of the community and the general public and also to resist any action or measure which it considers to be against the public interest, provided further that such actions would be taken only under the aegis of The Association or similar apolitical bodies and not under the sponsorship or banner of any political or quasi-political organisations and such action is not opposed by any of the members of the Governing Council.
6. The income of The Association from whatever source and or properties and assets shall be applied solely towards the promotion of the objects of The Association as set forth above and no portion thereof shall be paid or transferred directly or indirectly by way of profits or otherwise to any member or ex-member of The Association or any person claiming through any of them; Provided that such restrictions shall not prevent the payment in good faith of any remuneration to any officer, servant or employees of The Association or to any member or associate of The Association including salaries to such officer, servant/employee/s /staff as employed at the sole discretion of the Executive Body; allowances, Bonus, reimbursement of costs and travelling expenses in relation to and for the purposes of achieving and furtherance of the objects of The Association; and The Association Fund and property shall be applied to or for such purposes and subject to such conditions and limitations, if any, and within such territories as may from time to time be laid down in the Income Tax Act,1961 or any other Act in modification or substitution thereof governing taxation of income for the time being in force; as well as to ensure or make the society hereby established, shall be one to which the provisions of Section 80G of the Income Tax Act, 1961 or any enactment or modification thereof apply, so that any donation to The Association is eligible for exemption from tax in respect of the donors and for this purpose and for the purpose of achieving the ends and objects of the Association the Executive Council shall do all such acts, deeds and things as are incidental, necessary or conducive to the attainment of the objects of The Association.
7. The Association shall consist of the following categories of Members:
i) Ordinary Membership: - Shall be open to all past students upon payment of membership and subscription fees which shall be as ascertained by the Executive Council and approved by the members at the annual general meeting from time to time.
ii) Associate Membership: - Shall be open to Past students who are residing outside Kolkata, upon payment of membership and subscription fees which shall be set by the Executive Council and approved by the members at the annual general meeting from time to time.
iii) Honorary Membership :-Shall be the Mother Superior and or the Mother Provincial and the Principal of St. Teresa’s Secondary School (Kidderpore) and such other person/persons being interested in Education and/or the development of Students and/or such creative activity which would augment and facilitate in fulfilling the objects of the Association as enumerated in paragraph 3 and sub-paragraphs thereof. Such members shall be appointed for a period of at least two years subject to extension for such period as decided by at least a two third majority of the Executive Council and such Honorary Members shall not be liable to payment of any registration/subscription fees.
8. Cessation of Membership :-
a. The membership shall stand cancelled upon the demise of a member of any category;
b. Member shall be suspended upon non payment of two consecutive annual subscription;
c. Any member who is involved in any Criminal activity and/or has found to be guilty of charges related to criminal offences and/or moral turpitude shall be expelled forthwith by the Executive Committee in such manner as may be prescribed under the instant rules and/or in accordance with principles of natural justice and equity;
In all matters relating to Membership, the decision of the Executive Council shall be final.
9. The management and control of the affairs of the Association shall be entrusted to the Executive Council of the Association and for this purpose the Executive Council shall meet at least four times a year with each meeting not being later than at an interval of 3 months;
10. The quorum at each meeting of the Executive Council shall not be less than seven however for the purpose of taking policy decisions and or decisions involving matters of financial nature the quorum shall be not less than 10 ;
11. The Executive Council shall discharge its duties and functions and or implement its policies through working committees / sub-committees constituted by the Executive Committee for such period/ periods and for such specific works as deemed to be necessary. Provided that each such working committee and sub-committee shall comprise of at least one member of the Executive Council.
12. The ............................, ..................branch at ................... Kolkata shall be the official Bankers of the Association, the bank shall be operated by the Secretary and the Treasurer of the Association and in the absence of any one of them the President and the Secretary and or the Treasurer as the case may be;
13. The Governing Body of the Association shall consist of nine members:-
1) Mother Superior of the School who shall be President of the Governing Body;
2) Principal of School shall be the Ex-Officio Chairperson of the Governing Body;
3) Ex-Teacher – Member nominated by the Executive Council;
4) Ex-Teacher – Member nominated by the Executive Council;
5) Parent of High School – Member co opted by the Principal ;
6) Parent of Middle School – Member co opted by the Principal ;
7) Ordinary member nominated by Executive Council;
8) Associate member nominated by Executive Council;
9) Honorary Member nominated by the Executive Council in absence whereof nomination shall be made from the category of an Ordinary member nominated by Executive Council;
14. (a) The Executive Council shall consists of fifteen members viz. (i) President, (ii) Vice-President, (iii) Secretary, (iv) Treasure and eleven Committee Members to be elected by the members of the Association at the General Body Meeting.
(b) The Executive Council shall be elected for a period of two years at the Annual General Meeting of the Association with each member having a single casting vote. However Honorary Members and Special Members and Members who are defaulters due to non payment of yearly subscription and or part thereof shall not have any voting rights and or right to participate at the election proceedings.
15. The Name, Address and Description of the Members of the First Executive Council are as follows:-
Krishna Basu De
16. The Governing Body of the Association shall act as the Advisory Body to the Executive Council and all acts, deeds or thing done and/or caused to be done by the Executive Body in the nature of any Policy decision shall be subject to ratification by the Governing Body.
17. The Management and Control of the day to day affairs of the Association shall the entrusted to the Executive Council of the Association.
18. Registration fees :- One time Registration fees shall be payable by every member except Honorary Members as follows :-
(i) The Registration fees will be a sum of Rupees 1000/- for all members having passed out from the School not before 5 years from the date of application for registration;
(ii) The Registration fees will be a sum of Rupees 2000/- for all Ordinary /Associate Members passed out from School not less than 5 years from the date of application for registration;
(iii) The Registration fees will be a sum of Rupees 2000/- for all Special Members;
19 Annual Subscription :-
The annual subscription members for all members except (Honorary members) shall be a sum of Rs.600/- per annum to be paid either yearly and/or in two equal instalments before the month of June and December of each financial year. Failure to pay the annual Subscription fee for any two consecutive years or part thereof shall be liable for cancellation of the membership. Failure to pay the annual subscription fee for any year or part thereof shall dis-qualify the member from participating in the Election Process.
20. The Executive Body shall have the power to make Rules and Bye Laws in aid of and for the governance of and or for the furtherance of the cause and or objects of the Association provided that such bye laws do not conflict with its Rules and Regulations.
21. We, the office bearers of the Association, being Members of the same hereby certify that this Memorandum are a correct copy of the Memorandum of Association of the “ST. TERESA’S SECONDARY SCHOOL, Kidderpore at Calcutta ALUMNI ASSOCIATION”.
Alpana Jain President
Chama Mookherji Vice-President
Deva Mukherjee Secretary
Jyoti Sethi Committee Member
Bharti Chandramouli Do
Chitra Karla Do
Nita Chugani Do
Shalini Gupta Do
Krishna Basu De Do
Anna Malhotra Do
Sreemoyee Bagchi Do
Sromona Das Do